Canadian Fiddler & Composer
Having performed across Canada, the USA, Ireland, Italy, Austria, and Hungary, Kyle Burghout has established himself as one of Canada’s best young fiddlers. Kyle and his music have been featured on CBC radio and television, as well as in Irish Music Magazine and The Canadian Fiddler. His many awards include North American Irish Fiddle Champion, runner-up at the Canadian Grand Masters Fiddling Championship, and three-time finalist at the All-Ireland Fiddle Competition.
Often praised for his deep expression and smooth, clean playing, Burghout prides himself with preserving the traditions of Ottawa Valley fiddle music and Irish traditional music. In addition to having dedicated countless hours to studying these traditions, he has also composed many new tunes, and was named a winner of the 2017 Canadian Songwriting Competition for his compositions. His performances feature a blend of traditional and contemporary fiddle music, representing the ever changing and evolving tradition.
When not performing, he is the Artistic Director of Fiddleheads Musical Theatre in Chelsea, QC, where he teaches and collaborates with over 30 young fiddlers. He is also the Youth Coordinator of In Concert for Cambodia, an Ottawa-based fundraising initiative that has raised over $50,000 for children in Cambodia through music concerts.
In September 2017, Kyle released his first solo album, The Prism Within, featuring both traditional tunes and many of his own compositions. He has also recorded an EP with trio Branches of Silver in 2015, featuring compositions by traditional fiddlers from Canada, the USA, and abroad.
- National Arts Centre, Ottawa, ON (with Natalie MacMaster & Donnell Leahy)
- Brockville Arts Centre, Brockville, ON (with Natalie MacMaster & Donnell Leahy)
- Merrickville United Arts Centre, Merrickville, ON (with Tyson Chen)
- National Arts Centre, Ottawa, ON (with Tyson Chen)
- Gatineau Hills Fiddle Festival, Chelsea, QC (with Jane Cory & Tyson Chen)
- CityFolk Marvest, Ottawa, ON (with Tyson Chen)
- Canadian Grand Masters Fiddling Championship, Ottawa, ON
- All-Ireland Fiddle Competition, Drogheda, Ireland
- Canadian Open Fiddle Championship, Shelburne, ON
- Ontario Open Fiddle & Step Dance Competition, Bobcaygeon, ON
- Canadian Museum of History, Gatineau, QC (with Fiddleheads Musical Theatre)
- Eastern North American Irish Fiddle Competition, Parsippany, NJ, USA
- Brigid's Well, Ottawa, ON (with Tyson Chen)
- LIVE! on Elgin, Ottawa, ON (with Tyson Chen)
- Music @ Mill Road, Chelsea, QC (with Denis Lanctôt, Tyson Chen, James Stephens, & Jane Cory)
- Almonte Celtfest, Almonte, ON (with Branches of Silver)
- John Arcand Fiddle Fest, Saskatoon, SK
- Canadian Grand Masters Fiddling Championship, Morinville, AB & Valleyfield, QC
- National Arts Centre, Ottawa, ON (with Ottawa Symphony Orchestra)
- St. Flannan's Cathedral, Killaloe, Ireland (with Martin Hayes & Clare Memory Orchestra)
- Parry Sound Fiddle Fest, Parry Sound, ON (with Emily Yarascavitch)
- Italy Tour (with Ottawa Youth Orchestra)
- Austria & Hungary Tour (with Canterbury String Ensemble)